11 February 2009

Brooklyn Follies - Paul Auster

This book was highly recommended by Sid. Usually I trust his choice, but this one didnt work for me the way it did for him.
The story criss-crosses many lives in Brooklyn and probably the author's intention was to ensure everyone finds a connection somewhere. If so, then I feel it backfired bigtime.
The storyline has Nathan Glass, a retired insurance sales guy, with lung cancer trying to spend his life, whatever is left of it, in a quiet place. So he moves to Brooklyn. He meets his nephew Tom, who is working in a bookshop and the two together have some good time. In comes his niece's daughter who refuses to speak and, as claimed by the blurb in the book, their lives change drastically after this.
If you ask me, that is where the book starts going downhill. Initially the book managed to hold my interest, I kept thinking, something bigger is just around the corner, but more than halfway I realized it isn't going to be anything like that. The plot is stretched unnecessarily and few parts are too tacky and unconvincing. Not even once, do we see the protagonist (who is supposed to be a cancer patient) having any trouble with his health. I am not saying he should be in bed or have some major scenes in hospital, but, it simply does not allow me to believe in this character. In addition, the father daughter (did I not mention the hero had a daughter? well, yes, he does) relationship is not depicted strongly, that we can feel empathy for him when he had a 'fight' with his daughter.
However, the writing is good - simple and easy to read so I didnt have to tax my brain too much. There were some parts that I enjoyed reading - the nephew Tom's infatuation, Tom meeting his future wife (i forget her name, though) and umm, some more (not so memorable, I guess).
Overall, a decent read, with few good parts thrown in between.
Rating: 3/5

No comments: