13 January 2016

Hello 2016

2015 was not a very bad year for my book burrowing but not great either. I had a target of 50 books, but I could just manage 26 books of which, three were non fiction. The idea was to read about five at least in the non-fiction segment. I was better with the books from new authors (i.e. authors new to me). I managed to read 17 new authors. Again it is not surprising considering I took a library membership.
That was another highlight of book reading - my library books. I have realized how good it is to have a membership to a library, this way we explore so many more genres and authors without having to worry about buying them and finding them not up to our taste.

This year again, I am being ambitious.
What is the point of anything if I am not ambitious, at least in reading and writing?
  • I want to read one book per week, if not, make it to 50; I am sticking to last year's goal.
  • I want to read more Kannada books. This year I have raised the bar to ten.
  • My reading/writing group suggested we read at least 5 books from authors who are not around anymore. This goal has plenty of scope so reading a minimum of 5 books is not going to be difficult.
  • I want to track how many Indian authors I will read this year.
  • I also want to track how many books I read from authors I have not tried before. 
  • I want to read classics, revisit some older ones which I probably read in childhood, for 'Alice in Wonderland' taught me the beauty of re-reading when you are an adult and you think you have grown past the book that you read in school or college.
Looks decent enough to me.
Currently, I am reading two books in parallel, one American and one British:
  1. Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
  2. Mrs. Sinclair's Suitcase - Louise Walters

No comments: