06 June 2016

Library Books - Authors Maeve Binchy and Terry Pratchett

This post should have come long ago. I have lazed around and not done my part.
Also, my reading speed has gone down way below my desired mark.

This Year It Will Be Different - A short story collection by Maeve Binchy.
This was a surprise read. I had no clue it was a short story collection. However, the stories turned out to be pretty good. Quite soft and mushy - many of them were, but  very well written. Many of them were centered around holidays (Christmas and holidays and family ties) and the romantic in me enjoyed them quite a bit. It should be note that these are like a packet of sweets. One cannot have all of them at one go.

The Dark Side of The Sun - Terry Pratchett
I had long long ago read books from Terry Pratchett and I had enjoyed them so much that I did not think twice before I picked this book. However. This was a bit too much of science fictiony for me. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. On the other hand, the second book was far better. The story revolves around Dom Sabalos, the future chairman of a planet 'Widdershins' who survives attempts of assassination and starts his journey finding more about 'Jokers' (a mysterious, highly evolved species who probably are equal to Gods or could be, Gods)

Strata - Terry Pratchett
Strata was far better in terms of humour, story line and made me want to read till the end.
The protagonist is Kin Arad is a senior official in the 'Company' that creates new planets and sells to various civilizations across the galaxy, enabling resettlement of species. She finds out someone has been creating fake currencies of the company, which are absolutely 'genuine' and she also learns of existence of a flat earth. She travels with two unlikely companions (Silver, a she-bear of the species Shand, and Marco, a highly paranoid and aggressive frog like creature from the species Kung)  to investigate.
The book is extremely engaging, funny and flows smoothly.


No comments: