06 June 2016

Library Books - Blue Dahlia and When We Were Orphans

Blue Dahlia - Nora Roberts
I had never read books by Nora Roberts before this one. Whenever I went to book fairs, sales or bookshops, I would see a lot of books from Nora Roberts. Shelves and shelves dedicated to her books. I was curious, although I am no reader of romance novels, I wanted to try and see how these are. Blue Dahlia was a step towards this.
The story is about three women, at three stages of their lives, coming together to find love, family and companionship. A garden/nursery uniting them all in this quest.
I would not say I disliked the book. The writing is pretty decent. However, the story line is quite boring and didn't really capture my interest. A lot of attention has been paid to research on the plants, flowers, and the processes that goes in a nursery but then, it cannot be the main frame of a story. It may interest a garden enthusist, but others will find the descriptions and the exuberance of the characters towards the garden quite boring and puzzling in that order.
One thing that bores me in a romance novel is how the sexual tension between the hero and the heroine are crafted. After a point, it gets terribly boring. It could be my personal issue with the story, and others may actually enjoy all that description about sex.

When We Were Orphans - Kazuo Ishiguro
A book that disappointed and bored me no end. I had earlier read The Remains of the Day by the same author and had found it to be tender and evocative. But this one just meanders on and on and on. So much so that I just could not push myself to finish the book.

No comments: