11 June 2018

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice - A Graphic Novel

This graphic novel is meant for young adults, an effort to spur their interest in classics. This book is published by Campfire, a unit of Kalyani Navyug Media (essentially an Indian venture). To be honest, we bought this book to be given as a gift to somebody, but I changed my mind in the last minute and decided to keep it for myself :P

The story is not new to me, having seen it in all formats (novel, tv series, movie), but I was curious to know how it would pan out in a graphic novel. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The script is extremely well written – crisp, and not too complex so as to keep the young readers engaged. To be able to cover a novel like Pride and Prejudice and do justice to the original is no small feat, and Laurence Sach – a UK based writer/theatre lecturer – has successfully managed to achieve this.

The illustrations, however, are a slight disappointment. The drawings of the characters are inconsistent (even a little ugly in some places), and hugely influenced by the existing formats (movies/tv series). At one point, I even found an image of a real photo in one of the panels.

Despite this I would heartily recommend this book for all book lovers, young and old, simply because of the prose.
I would rate this book a good 3.5/5.0

No comments: