15 June 2018

The Four Agreements - Don Miguel Ruiz

This is a self-help book, a non-fiction category that I had borrowed from the library.

The premise of the book appears fairly simple: the author advises us to follow four rules in life to live a happy, fulfilling life.

1. Be Impeccable with Your Word
2. Do Not Take Anything Personally
3. Do Not Make Assumptions
4. Always Do Your Best

Generally, in most self-help books the life experiences of writers are boiled down to succinct points with useful examples and explanations. And to many cynics (including me) these pearls of wisdom may seem obvious, even trite, but there is no denying that they are important.

However, this is a difficult book to prod through not because it is complex in nature, but mainly because it is incomprehensible and a tad boring in many parts. When I say incomprehensible, I mean to say some of the ideas do not make sense – I felt the author made it unnecessarily complicated just to make it appear exotic. I was looking forward to a lot of personal stories of the writer that connects the reader to the situations and the application of these rules to overcome any obstacles. I was also looking for a more no-nonsense approach towards the explanations. Neither happened here.

I am disappointed to say I finished the book with great difficulty, often doubting myself of being close-minded, but the more I think of the book now, the less impressed I am with it.

I would rate it just 1.5/5.0

No comments: