19 August 2008

Orbis Terrarum Challenge - Accepted!

I was so excited about finding books from different authors and different nations that I went straight ahead and did all my googling keeping my bookshelf in mind. I realized I have many in house from HD's collection which I have not read yet and can be used for this challenge. How lovely.
So, I put up my list now. I dont know if I can finish all of them, but I am starting off today!

The Almond – Nadjma (North Africa)
Breakfast of Champions – Kurt Vonnegut (USA) [COMPLETED]
A Handful of Rice – Kamala Markandeya (India)
Trainspotting – Irvine Welsh (Scotland)
The Life of Pi – Yann Martel (Canada)
Lord of the Flies – William Golding (England) [COMPLETED]
Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert (France)
Evening is the whole day – Preeta Samarasan (Malaysia) [COMPLETED]
Kaddish for the Unborn Child – Imre Kertesz (Hungary)

It is a different story that coming Monday I would busy toiling my butt off in a new job, new environment. I am hoping these books will help me overcome any nasty surprises out there.

4 comments:

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

Welcome!!!! I can't wait to see what you have to say about these books that you picked! I haven't read a single one, but have heard of almost all of them and own some of them. I wish you the best of reading on this journey. I think you can do it!!

So glad to have you!!! :)

Bee Bee said...

Thank you so much bethany, I sure will update about my feelings about these.

Ramya said...

hey.. that looks like a great list:) i haven't read "A handful of rice" by kamala markandeya.. i am curious to see how that'll be.. can't wait for your review now:)

Bee Bee said...

thank you ramya, I am starting precisely with that book. Will let you know once I put up the review.