04 April 2011

The Shipping News

Why do we love losers who turn out be unlikely heroes, who, will finally get what they deserve, find happiness, love and peace? I should not generalize, but I certainly love one - probably because the journey is so often hopeful - and holds some kind of a message to the large community of ordinary citizens out there. And, I have learned enough about self and to consider myself one.

The Shipping News - An unbelievably beautiful and touching tale of loss, grief, unrequited love and hope - this one makes you want to believe that somewhere, someone out there is looking out for you. If I had to choose only three books out of this entire planet, 'The Shipping News' would be one of them. Which are the other two? I don't know, I have not come across them yet.

The book makes me wish these were real people - so that I could meet them and tell them how much they inspire me. It makes me want to go to Newfoundland, although I am certain I dont have the mental strength to withstand the harsh conditions of the land. The stark, harsh beauty of Newfoundland so effectively described in the book makes me wonder - it is nothing like whatever little I have seen or heard about.

It makes me want to reach out to Quoyle and console him when he is hurt and upset, struggling to find meaning in his existence; rejoice with him over the little accomplishments in his life - his slow, yet emerging career as a newspaper man, his bonding with his aunt. I feel so happy that he found 'real, solid friends' who are actually the pillars of his new life in Newfoundland. I want to scold him about his reluctance to let go of his 'love' for the dead Petal, which is not really love at all. I wonder about Aunt Agnis - how she is instrumental in changing Quoyle's life, whether she herself knows it or not. I enjoy every bit of the delicate romance between Wavey Prowse and Quoyle; I am so happy for them. I love the solid marriage of Denis and Beety - their unspoken love for each other, respect and their uncomplaining nature to endure hardships. I wish mine would be something like that.

I wanted this book to go on and on. It was as if I was reading a chronicle of lives of my own friends whom I had no way of contacting in real life. I want to know what will happen to Quoyle and Wavey, how do they lead their lives; Quoyle's daughters and them growing up. I want to know if the newspaper survives; what happens to Nutbeem - will he love his new life in Brazil? I want Aunt Agnis to flourish and be happy. Will Jack ever allow Denis, his son, to get back to fishing? How blissful would it be, to grow old amongst a bunch of friends who you are comfortable with? Oh, there is so much that I want to know.

I am dying to see the movie that was made based on this book, but I am scared. I am worried that the threads of affection and the fabric of happiness that is woven around the book by my imagination might just fray. Yet, I have vowed one of these days I will go ahead and watch the movie. I cannot really resist the temptation.

I would rate this 5/5.

No comments: