08 April 2011

An unusual way of finding treasures

Recently I went to Blossoms - a wonderful bookshop on Church Street that sells new as well as second hand books. I had been looking around to pick up Zadie Smith's 'White Teeth' and these pretentious Landmarks of the world didnt have it. I thought I would give it a try in Blossoms - I was delighted to find a clean copy of White Teeth in their second hand book section.

Now that is what i call luck.
I have been getting a wee bit lucky with books - touch wood.
I had never heard of Annie Proulx or The Shipping News before I picked it up on an impulse in a road side second book sale; it was more like a garage sale - piles of books worth 10 bucks, 25, 50 and so on.

Even today, I cannot believe I got The Shipping News for just 10 rupees. It was like buying a box of tissue papers only to find diamonds in there when you opened it at home. I will never ever part with the book, ever. It is like a goodluck charm. I dont think anyone else has ever had a better experience in 'discovering' a brilliant author. Ah, the joy!!

No comments: