30 January 2018

2018 - A New Year and New Books

New year began with a Kannada book called 'Anudinada Antaragange' ('ಅನುದಿನದ ಅಂತರಗಂಗೆ') by Pratibhaa Nanda Kumar.

I had not heard about this Kannada poet earlier nor had I read any of her poems or books. A friend gave me this book – a memoir – from this poet saying it was something I had to read. She mentioned she found the poet and her life quite inspiring. Curious, I started and soon I was hooked.

Before I mention anything about the book, a background on the author based on her book and a quick research on the internet: Pratibhaa Nanda Kumar is a Bangalore based poet, journalist and a playwright. She is also a documentary film maker. She is well-known for her feminist views and path breaking poetry. She wrote for the well-known ‘Lankesh Patrike’ that was known for its radical views.

Anudinada Antaragange is not a proper memoir, in the sense, it does not really deal with all aspects of her life, but focuses mainly on her internal struggles with her self-image, and her constant search for emotional security and love. Many people move in and out of her life and the only constant seems to be her love for writing and her children. The writing is crisp and bold interspersed with poems. The poems ring true; they touch you in unexpected ways. They paint a tortuous yet beautiful picture.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It has intrigued me enough to look for her poetry and other writings. My next trip to Bangalore will definitely include a trip to the bookshop.

No comments: